Sunday, October 3, 2010

Final Shots for the First Day


Time for a few more observations, since I have no idea how busy the next few days may be.

On my 5-mile stroll this afternoon, before the rains returned, I was pleased with how green the town is compared to Baku.  This area doesn’t get much rain, since it is surrounded by mountains.  I have to chalk it up to the fact that the sun and heat don’t pound down on the turf as much.  It is definitely much more of a pleasure to walk through.

It’s a good thing the internet connection at the hotel is strong….the TV variety is not.  I have 11 channels…3 in Russian (which I can vaguely follow), 1 each in Italian and Spanish (no major problem), BBCEuro News in English, and the rest in Russian.  It is a bit surprising, since Russian seems to be much less used here than in Baku.  All of the signs are in Armenian, which I can’t read for anything; but 80% of them are also written in English.  No problems getting around or reading anything important yet.  Anyway, TV watching will be at a low priority for the next two weeks.

I exchanged 200 USD today for 72,000 AMD….makes one feel quite rich!

Also hit a local supermarket late this afternoon, buying about $20 USD of groceries that should take me into Tuesday.  Most of the pricing is nice….a 5-pack of sandwich rolls for $.65, a kilo of local grapes for $1.75, cheese, soda, water, yogurt, and nuts.  Of course, the relatively low prices are a function of the average laborer wage here of around $165 a month.  I also wandered a large (roughly 2 acres) indoor food mart with over 200 farmers’ stalls.  The food looked great, but no prices were marked.  I passed up buying anything, figuring my gross disadvantage in not knowing the language, not knowing the pricing, and obviously being a “wealthy foreigner”.

The forecast for the next week is routine…30% chance of rain (typically at dusk, I am told), with partly sunny skies and highs around 70F.  The deciduous trees today look as ours did in late August…no major foliage falls in the next few days.

The drivers here are also a pleasant surprise compared to Baku.  They do speed, but maintain lanes, obey signs, yield for pedestrians, and do not drive backwards on the freeway when missing an exit.  Petrol prices are roughly double what we pay in Columbus, which is unfortunate given the low wages.  There are precious few natural resources in the country.

OK…time to call Nancy soon, so I’ll tie this off.  More exciting musings to come your way Monday, as I start earning my pay.  Enjoy what remains of your respective Sundays.

No comments: