Monday, November 10, 2014

Third Trip to Yerevan - November, 2014

Well, folks, it is time for more, unexpected reading delight.  I am back in Yerevan, Armenia on a hastily-arranged training project at Ardshininvestbank.  Since Nancy is not on this trip to perform blogging responsibilities, yours truly will try to fill in the blanks.

To get some mere details out of the way…the ascent (my first ever) out of the Asheville NC airport was beautiful, seeing the mountains with a bit of incipient color remaining.  The pitch of the climb, though, was reminiscent of O’Hare.  Landing in Atlanta about 35 seconds later (only a 130 mile flight), I found the international terminal to be clean, professional, and boring.  But, definitely not overpriced compared to most large airports.  Unfortunately, the “down” escalator to get to the shuttle trains was stuck and people had to walk down the stairs, which seemed to confuse the shit out of many.  15 minutes later the congestion had cleared, and there was no longer a line of idiots totally blocking the main corridor upstairs.

On the long-haul flight to Paris, I just happened to get up to stretch my legs as the sun peeked over the horizon as we flew just south of Kilkenny, Ireland.  Great view at 39,000 feet out the galley door window. 

Seeing the gaggle of passengers in Paris waiting to board the final flight to Armenia, it struck me that Armenians apparently love to leave the country, buy out stores elsewhere, and attempt to put everything into the overhead bins.  It also became apparent that strolling airplane aisles is a national pastime.

Breezed through Customs and was greeted by my old friends, Karen and Arevik.  They whisked me to my usual hotel, and I was in there by 10 p.m. local time.


Sunday November 9

Sunday was a day to dispense with jet lag and wander about this beautiful city.  I spent it visiting some old haunts from the last visit, especially the Jazzve coffeehouse chain.  I also walked the upscale pedestrian mall to the Opera House – while there was much foot traffic, the stores did not benefit from it.  There also seemed to be a major repair project on the paving stones that comprise the walkway, which is surprising since it was just being completed during my first visit four years ago.

Herbie Hancock is appearing at the Opera House on November 20.

For the first time, I also walked up the 768 steps that form the cascade, a 1950s-era monument to Soviet-Armenian friendship that dominates the North hill.  No maintenance work has been done on this since my last visit, and the infrastructure is badly in need of repair. In fact, much of the town needed a bit of upkeep…while neat, there is minor crumbling everywhere that will snowball if not addressed.  Citywide, many people were strolling on this sunny day and spending dram in the coffeehouses and restaurants, but I saw few tangible goods being purchased.  Little wonder, as mos items are imported and the dram has depreciated about 30% in the past 3 years.  Today’s exchange rate is 410 to the dollar.


Monday November 10

Today was my first meeting at the bank with the new training coordinator to make sure we are ready to go tomorrow.  Nothing monumental save that the bank now requires all training to start at 6:30 p.m. so employees don’t miss any of their work day.  And, it must end by 9:00 so they can get home in a timely fashion.  That will put a crimp in the amount I was planning to cover, so we may need to trim on the fly.  I’m not sure what to expect from 9 consecutive workdays of this…especially on the final (Friday) night.  But, I will do the best I can within the rules.

I tried to work in the hotel in the afternoon but the wifi crashed about 9 a.m. and didn’t return until sometime after 3.  That created a good excuse to revisit Jazzve and eat dinner/drink coffee while using their bandwidth.


Since I am free tomorrow until 5 p.m., more wandering is in store and I may try to find another geocache (Nancy and I found four here during the last trip).  I should also probably lay in a supply of quality bulk candy – it works wonders with training audiences here as rewards and bribes.

No comments: